PREPARATION TIME: 1 Hour
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 cups unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2½ cups. cake flour
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup(16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
FOR THE FROSTING
- 2 sticks(16 tablespoons) salted butter, room temperature
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raspberries
- 2 teaspoons Anima Mundi Rose Powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- fresh raspberries, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 9″ round baking pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse 2 cups pistachios until a finely ground powder forms. Set aside.
- Whisk together 1 cup of the ground pistachios(set the other cup aside for coating later), flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, beat butter on high until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat for another 2 minutes. Add the vanilla, almond and egg, and beat until combined.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk and cream until the mixture is just combined.
- Add the egg whites and cream of tartar to a mixing bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the batter until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top springs back when touched.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
- Place the butter, vanilla, and raspberries in a large mixing bowl and beat together for 1 minute, or until raspberries are broken down and well distributed and mixture is creamy. Add the rose powder and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Beat on low speed, adding the remaining powdered sugar slowly until it is all incorporated. Move speed to high and beat for one more minute.
- Spread frosting in between each layer of the three layer cake as you frost it. Coat the outside and top of the cake in frosting, spreading it evenly.
- Use your hands to press handfuls of the reserved pistachio powder into the cake until the entire cake is coated in pistachio.
- Top with fresh raspberries.
- Store in the refrigerator – will keep for up to a week.
- Calories: 168kcal (8%)
- Carbohydrates: 26g (9%)
- Protein: 1g (2%)
- Fat: 6g (9%)
- Saturated Fat: 4g (25%)
- Cholesterol: 15mg (5%)
- Sodium: 98mg (4%)
- Potassium: 54mg (2%)
- Fiber: 26g (8%)
- Sugar: 18g (20%)
- Vitamin A: 199IU (4%)
- Calcium: 13mg (2%)
- Iron: 2mg (6%)