PREPARATION TIME: 1 Hour 50 mins
COOK TIME: 40 mins
- 6 muffins
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1¼ cups warm water (90°F to 95°F)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cornmeal, for finishing
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix the flour with the salt, yeast, and sugar to combine. Add the water and butter, and mix on low speed until the mixture forms a ball around the hook, 3 minutes.
2. Increase the speed to medium and continue to mix for 3 minutes more. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll or pat out to ¾-inch thickness. Cut six 3-inch circles from the dough.
4. Sprinkle the cornmeal on a baking sheet and transfer the English muffins to the tray. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until slightly puffy, 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the muffins in batches and cook until lightly browned about 2 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side.
7. Transfer the muffins to the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven until browned and cooked for 5 to 7 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
- 288 calories
- 5g fat
- 51g carbs
- 9g protein
- 1g sugars