PREPARATION TIME: 1 Hour
COOK TIME: 50 mins
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ cup orange blossom honey (or other varietal)
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- Vegetable oil, as needed for frying
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1½ tablespoons five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- One 15-ounce jar of salsa
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup queso fresco, shredded mozzarella or crumbled feta cheese
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, quartered
1. MAKE THE SPICY HONEY: Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a small saucepan, combine the garlic, chili powder and honey. Bring the mixture to a light simmer, then lower the heat to the lowest setting possible and let the honey infuse for 1 hour.
2. PREPARE THE CRISPY TORTILLAS: Brush the tortillas with oil and season with salt. Spread the tortillas on a parchment-lined baking sheet, transfer to the oven and bake until crispy, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
3. MAKE THE CHILAQUILES: In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the ground chicken, five-spice powder, 1 teaspoon honey, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned, about 4 minutes. Add the salsa and bring to a light simmer.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the tortillas, cover, and continue to simmer until they soften, 13 to 15 minutes.
6. POACH THE EGGS: Fill a saucepan halfway with water and bring to a bare simmer. Reduce the heat to low, crack each egg into individual ramekins or small bowls, and gently pour into the water one at a time. Using a slotted spoon, gently swirl the simmering water around each egg until the whites solidify and the yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, gently remove the eggs from the water and drain them on paper towels.
7. Divide the chilaquiles into 4 servings and top each with an egg; garnish with cilantro, jalapeño (if using), cheese, radishes, and lime. Strain the honey and drizzle on top.
- 443 calories
- 20g fat
- 38g carbs
- 32g protein
- 8g sugars
- 134 calories
- 0g fat
- 36g carbs
- 0g protein
- 35g sugars